Our guests today are Janessa Leone, founder of the sustainable luxury brand Janessa Leoné, and Rachel Cantu, supply chain and sustainability advisor, and founder of Simplify and Grow Business Consulting. The Janessa Leone brand is bringing the healing potential of regenerative agriculture to rethink their textile supply chain. Janessa Leoné makes beautiful, thoughtful products with impact in mind–hats, accessories and knits. Since launching in 2013– the company has emerged as a leader in sustainability, releasing earlier this year, the first collection of carbon-negative sweaters to be made entirely in the USA
We cover a lot of ground in this conversation, including...
- how sustainability and luxury pair together
- Janessa's personal journey in this space–and what has motivated her to pivot her business in this way
- the tensions around sustainability in the fashion industry
- how regenerative business can heal ecosystems
- how to measure impact, and how to share that impact to educate and empower customers
Listen to the episode on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Podchaser, Podtail, Youtube, or on your favorite podcast platform.
Topics Covered & Links:
- Victory Chimes Windjammer Tour
- Join the ALMANAC for Fall!
- Establishing a regenerative clothing brand
- Creating transparent supply chains from scratch
- Rachel Cantu's business, Simplify + Grow
- Regeneration vs . sustainability
- What is Regenerative?
- Janessa's journey with chronic health issues and her discovery of regenerative agriculture
- Quantifying carbon impact
- How Janessa's personal journey evolved her business
- What makes wool special
- Our conversation with Sheep Inc's Edzard Van Der Wyck
- Rambouillet sheep and wool
- How the regenerative ranch co-op works
- Textile Exchange - leading organization in terms of standards development
- Responsible Wool Standard
- Shaniko Wool Co in Oregon
- Rachel's experience with large brands, pros and cons of large and small scale production
- Janessa's Leone's highest priorities as a company
- Luxury and Sustainability
Connect with Janessa and Rachel:
- The Janessa Leone Website: janessaleone.com/
- On Instagram @janessaleone
- Simplify + Grow Consulting by Rachel Cantu
About Lady Farmer:
- Our Website
- @weareladyfarmer on Instagram
- Join The Lady Farmer ALMANAC
- Leave us a voicemail! Call 443-459-1950 and ask a question or share what the good dirt means to you!
- Email us at email@example.com
Original music by John Kingsley @jkingsley1026
Statements in this podcast have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are not to be considered as medical or nutritional advice. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease, and should not be considered above the advice of your physician. Consult a medical professional when making dietary or lifestyle decisions that could affect your health and well being.