Internationally acclaimed landscape designer, activist and bestselling author of The Garden Awakening and We are the Ark, Mary Reynolds discusses her efforts to restore the earth through her global ARK campaign (Acts of Restorative Kindness) and to campaign against multinational efforts to perpetuate the use of pesticides, herbicides, GMO’s and fossil fuels. She launched her career by achieving a gold medal for garden design at the Chelsea flower show in 2002, the story of which was made into a 2016 movie called “Dare to be Wild”. She later founded the global movement “We are the ARK”, an organization advocating for more wild spaces and to raise awareness of our current extinction event.
- Mary's new book We Are the Ark: Returning Our Gardens to Their True Nature Through Acts of Restorative Kindness with illustrations by Ruth Evans
- Mary's story of the pivotal moment that changed her career
- How Mary reframes the concept of gardens
- The ARK concept
- How the idea of feeding the world is greenwashing, when we should support the world to feed itself.
- Floral designer Amber Tamm @ambertamm
- Doug Tallamy, founder of Home Grown National Park - a grassroots organization regenerating local biodiversity
- Native species vs non-native plants and how they affect local eco-systems
- The 100th monkey syndrome
- Shifting Baseline Syndrome/ Daniel Pauly
- How has Mary's mission evolved from The Garden Awakening to We Are the Ark
- Mary's project in Westport, County Mayo
- The difference between a garden and an ark is intention
- How can people become less afraid of the wildness?
- Where does Mary find hope that we will be able to save the planet and ourselves?
- Spreading the message of The ARK all over the world
- From What is to What If written by Rob Hopkins
- The book Silent Spring written by Rachel Carson
Connect with Mary:
This Episode is Sponsored by Pinetree Seeds!
Order their seeds today from superseeds.com and use our promo code: GOODDIRT15 for 15% off your entire order!
About Lady Farmer:
- Our Website
- @weareladyfarmer on Instagram
- Join The Lady Farmer ALMANAC
- Leave us a voicemail! Call 443-459-1950 and ask a question or share what the good dirt means to you!
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Original music by John Kingsley. Our technical partner for this series is CitizenRacecar, Post-Production by Alex Brouwer and José Miguel Baez, Coordinated by Gabriela Montequin and Mary Ball. The Good Dirt is a part of the Connectd Podcasts Network.
Statements in this podcast have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are not to be considered medical or nutritional advice. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease, and should not be considered above the advice of your physician. Consult a medical professional when making dietary or lifestyle decisions that could affect your health and well-being.