Today we're talking to Brandi Stanley, host of the podcast This Plus That. Brandi makes a living out of making connections. If creativity is the ability to connect the seemingly un-connectable, that’s the art she practices. In love with the space between things—the intersections and the paradoxes—she's constantly looking for what insights can be gained when we mash the unexpected together and the growth that happens when we learn to hold complexity.
We had a great time talking with Brandi about so many things, from the hustle culture to church history, from empty calories as a metaphor to the gift economy, and of course all of the good dirt in between all of it. If you enjoy “connecting the dots” as they say, and discovering how much more we all have in common with each other than we think, then you’ll love this conversation.
Listen to the episode on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Podchaser, Podtail, Youtube, or on your favorite podcast platform.
- Brandi's journey to creating her Podcast This Plus That, and finding her way to doing what she loves
- The Great Resignation
- Wendell Berry
- Steve Jobs
- Nathan Myhrvold
- Ishmael by Daniel Quinn
- Charles Eisenstein and the gift economy
- The hustle culture and passive income in an extractive economy
- The idea of finding "aliveness" in what we do
- Consuming Empty Calories as a metaphor
- Braiding Sweetgrass by Robin Wall Kimmerer
- Connecting the seemingly unconnectable
- Soil and social justice
- Christianity and the Industrial Food System
- Nutrient depletion in our soil means nutrient-deficient food
- Groundwork Podcast - Interview with Alicia Brown
- Emily McElroy Intersections of Painting Plus Prayer
- How church history impacted our relationship with nature in western civilization
- How our language impacts the way we think and act in the world
- Emergent Strategy by Adrian Marie Brown
- Living into the new story
Connect with Brandi:
- Brandi's Podcast, This Plus That
- On Instagram @thisplusthatpod
- On Youtube, This Plus That Podcast
About Lady Farmer:
- Our Website
- @weareladyfarmer on Instagram
- Join The Lady Farmer ALMANAC
- Leave us a voicemail! Call 443-459-1950 and ask a question or share what the good dirt means to you!
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Original music by John Kingsley. The Good Dirt podcast is edited and engineered by Aleksandra van der Westhuizen and produced by Mary Ball. The Good Dirt is a part of the Connectd Podcasts Network.
Statements in this podcast have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are not to be considered as medical or nutritional advice. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease, and should not be considered above the advice of your physician. Consult a medical professional when making dietary or lifestyle decisions that could affect your health and well-being.