Ever dream about moving to a Homestead? In today's episode, we're talking to Jade Miles of Black Barn Farm. Jade is the author of FUTURESTEADING, a practical and inspirational guide to living in a way that values tomorrow and the host of a podcast by the same name. Futuresteading is grounded in a slower, simpler, steadier existence as the first step – one that’s healthier for humans and the planet. In addition, Jade runs Black Barn Farm with her husband and their three children, inspired by their belief in building a localized fair food system.
Listen to the episode on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Podchaser, Podtail, Youtube, or on your favorite podcast platform
- Jade tells us about her background and journey to Black Barn Farm
- Jade and her husband Charlie's commitment to land stewardship and local food systems
- Experiencing the 2019-2020 fires in Australia
- Governmental vs. individual responsibility in addressing the global environmental issues
- Diversity and Permaculture at Black Barn Farm as a “beyond organic” orchard, an educational resource, a nursery, a local food provider and a working homestead for Jade and her family
- Farm Scale permaculture
- Futuresteading is about “...assessing whether or not the decision that you make will have an outcome that is regenerative, sustainable or degenerative.”
- Growing Mountain Pepper, an indigenous bush food
- Connecting with the indigenous First Nations people of the land
- Educational opportunities at Black Barn Farm include school and upskilling workshops
- Sustainable Table
- Futuresteading the book
- Futuresteading the podcast
More information on the indigenous tribes discussed:
Learn more about the Mad Agriculture program!
More information on Steward
Check out our podcast with Dan Miller and Spike Gjerde of Steward!
Connect with Jade:
This Episode is Sponsored by Ettitude: ettitude.com/thegooddirt
^Use code THEGOODDIRT for $25 off your first order!
About Lady Farmer:
- Our Website
- @weareladyfarmer on Instagram
- Join The Lady Farmer ALMANAC
- Leave us a voicemail! Call 443-459-1950 and ask a question or share what the good dirt means to you!
- Email us at email@example.com
Original music by John Kingsley. Our technical partner for this series is CitizenRacecar, Post-Production by Alex Brouwer and José Miguel Baez, Coordinated by Gabriela Montequin and Mary Ball. The Good Dirt is a part of the Connectd Podcasts Network.
Statements in this podcast have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are not to be considered as medical or nutritional advice. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease, and should not be considered above the advice of your physician. Consult a medical professional when making dietary or lifestyle decisions that could affect your health and well-being.