In this episode, Mary and Emma are talking to Julia Skinner of Root: Historic Kitchens for the Modern World. Root was born from Julia's deep love for community and a belief in the power of food to tell stories, connect us to place and to each other, and to build a bridge to the past.
Julia's work is all about food, history, food stories, and where it comes from and the people behind it. She loves fostering connections with other people and with the earth around us. Julia is especially interested in learning and teaching about fermentation, demonstrating to people the ease and accessibility of preparing delicious and healthy food using this ancient and powerful food preservation technique.
Listen to the episode on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Podchaser, Podtail, Youtube, or on your favorite podcast platform.
- Exploring historic cookbooks
- Julia’s discovery of historical cooking traditions
- Types of fermentation she has explored
- How to start fermenting
- The growing popularity of traditional foods
- Shifting food interests during the pandemic
- Food Access
- Milk Kefir
- Food as medicine
- The English Housewife by Gervase Markham
- Sandor Katz
- Free99Fridge, Atlanta
- Umi Feeds
- Sowans Celtic Porridge
Connect with Julia:
- Root Kitchens Website: https://root-kitchens.com/
- @rootkitchens on Instagram
- Julia's Books, Classes and Courses
- Root Kitchens Newsletter on Substack
About Lady Farmer:
- Our Website
- @weareladyfarmer on Instagram
- Join The Lady Farmer ALMANAC
- Leave us a voicemail! Call 443-459-1950 and ask a question or share what the good dirt means to you!
- Email us at email@example.com
Original music by John Kingsley @jkingsley1026
Statements in this podcast have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are not to be considered as medical or nutritional advice. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease, and should not be considered above the advice of your physician. Consult a medical professional when making dietary or lifestyle decisions that could affect your health and well being.