158. Ecology and Textiles: Shopping Sustainably with Liv Olsen of "A Thrifty Notion"
Liv Olsen, owner of the secondhand fabric shop A Thrifty Notion in Ogden, Kansas, has a passion for textiles and ecology. She is on a mission to prevent deadstock and destashed fabrics from ending up in landfills, while promoting sustainability in the textile industry. In this episode, Emma, Mary, and Liv discuss the challenges of sourcing quality secondhand textiles, ways to promote mindful consumption, and the intersection of textiles and sustainability. Liv's message will inspire you to reconsider your own practices and adopt a more sustainable approach to your clothing.
This episode is brought to you by Farmer’s Friend: Use code “good dirt” for $10 off your first order of Quick-Plant Fabric for the month of September. One use per customer. Offer valid exclusively for new customers, expires 10/1/23 at 12:00 am.
• Creating an Online Business
• Leaving Quilting for the Secondhand Store
• Why Thrifting Has Risen in Popularity
• Goodwill's Rising Prices
• Checking Clothes for Plastic Content: The Burn Test
• The Permanence of Plastics in Fabrics
• Overconsumption & Abundance of Clothing
• Growing Up in a Homestead
• Each Generation Dealing with More and More Stuff
• How Marketing Might Be the Potential Solution in America
• Secondhand Quality Control
• Tough Fabrics to Maintain
• Balancing Sustainability with Running a Business
• Funding the Creative Process
• Linen, Flax, and Hemp
• Waiting Before Consuming
• Listen to The Good Dirt. "The Chico Flax Project"
• Listen to The Good Dirt, "The PA Flax Project"
Connect with Liv Olsen:
• A Thrifty Notion Website: https://athriftynotion.com/
• Instagram @athriftynotion: https://www.instagram.com/athriftynotion/
Statements in this podcast have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are not to be considered as medical or nutritional advice. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease, and should not be considered above the advice of your physician. Consult a medical professional when making dietary or lifestyle decisions that could affect your health and well-being.
🌻 About Lady Farmer:
Email us at email@example.com or leave us a voicemail! Call 443-459-1950 and ask a question or share what the good dirt means to you!
Original music by John Kingsley. Editing and podcast production by Fast Forward Production.