Today we're talking to Becky Cole, regenerative farmer, gardener, folk herbalist, forager and mother. Becky runs Broughgammon Farm with her husband Charlie in Northern Ireland. She became interested in natural living when she became burnt out from city life and went on a journey to discover slow living and nature connections. In this conversation, we talk about the health crises which lead Becky to reevaluate her lifestyle, her background in the fashion industry, the regenerative ethos and practices of Broughgammon farm, and her practice and teachings of foraging and herbalism.
You can find Becky every month on BBC Radio 2 and her popular podcast, Nature & Nourish. She teaches workshops online & on the farm. Her first book The Garden Apothecary was released in 2022 with Hardie Grant and she runs monthly nature connection circles on her Patreon page, The Rooted Connection.
- Becky's background in the fashion industry
- How a health crisis guided her back to nature
- Fashion in the UK
- Fashion brands mentioned:
- Country Clothing
- Dubarry of Ireland
- Cabbages and Roses
- Hunter Boots
- Becky's fashion ethics
- The environmental ethos of Broughgammon Farm
- Closing the waste loops in the food chain at Broughgammon Farm, and how they make use of by-products.
- Billy Burgers
- Ethically raised veal
- The Garden Apothecary by Becky O Cole
- Foraging and Herbalism
- Fear of Nature
- Farming as a lifestyle
- A leisurely discussion of slow living
- Common Herbs for Natural Health by Juliette de Bairacli Levy
- Four Thousand Weeks: Time Management for Mortals by Oliver Burkeman
Connect with Becky:
- On Instagram, @beckyocole
- Becky's Website, beckyocole.com
- Becky's Patreon, The Rooted Community
- Nature & Nourish Podcast
- Broughgammon Farm on Instagram
About Lady Farmer:
- Our Website
- @weareladyfarmer on Instagram
- Join The Lady Farmer ALMANAC
- Leave us a voicemail! Call 443-459-1950 and ask a question or share what the good dirt means to you!
- Email us at email@example.com
Thanks to BIOS Nutrients for supporting this episode! Listeners of The Good Dirt can receive 15% off their all natural plant fertilizers with the code LADYFARMER15 at checkout. Click here to shop their product line!
Statements in this podcast have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are not to be considered as medical or nutritional advice. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease, and should not be considered above the advice of your physician. Consult a medical professional when making dietary or lifestyle decisions that could affect your health and well being.