155. Creating a Backyard Microfarm with Leah Webb, Author of "The 7 Step Homestead"
In this episode we're talking to Leah Webb, author of The Seven Step Homestead about how to turn any yard into a primary food source with vegetables, fruits, chickens, pollinator plants and medicinal herbs. A mother of two children with unique medical needs, Leah utilizes food grown in her own backyard garden as an important part of her children's integrative care. She sees herself as a solutions-based Family Food and Garden Coach, with a goal of guiding families in making small yet impactful steps towards sourcing their own nutrition and achieving long term dietary, cooking, and gardening goals. She is also the author of The Grain-Free, Sugar-Free, Dairy-Free Family Cookbook. In this conversation, we delve into the challenges and benefits of growing and preparing nutrient dense food, and the practicalities of creating your own microfarm in the space you already have. If you are one of many with a goal to connect with the land and create more independence from the industrial food system, Leah can guide you through, step-by-step.
• A Stormy Week in the DC Area
• Leah's Background in Nutrition Education and Her Path to Creating a Microfarm in her own Backyard.
• Being a Mom to Kids with Unique Medical Needs and the Role of Gardening and Home Grown Food in their Integrative Care.
• Learning the Basics of Gardening for Food
• Eating Home Grown Vegetables
• Food Preservation
• Convenience Foods
• Priorities & Food
• Investing in Homesteading
• Start Small for the Long Haul
• Which Plants to Start With
• Planting Charts
• Using, Measuring, and Creating Compost
• The Difference Between Homesteading and Gardening
• Homesteading , Self Sufficiency and Community
• Finding an Alternative to the Industrial Food Industry
• Consumer Awareness of Food
• Regenerative Growing Practices
- "The Grain-Free, Sugar-Free, Dairy-Free Family Cookbook: Simple and Delicious Recipes for Cooking with Whole Foods on a Restrictive Diet" by Leah Webb
- "The Seven-Step Homestead: A Guide for Creating the Backyard Microfarm of Your Dreams" by Leah Webb
- Listen to The Good Dirt Reclaiming Our Food from Field to Kitchen with CSA Farmer Mo Moutoux of Moutoux Orchard
Connect with Leah Webb:
• Website: https://www.leahmwebb.com/
• Instagram @leah_m_webb https://www.instagram.com/leah_m_webb/
• Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/LeahMWebbWellness/
🌻 About Lady Farmer:
- Our Website
- Follow @weareladyfarmer on Instagram
- Join The Lady Farmer ALMANAC
- Email us at email@example.com or leave us a voicemail! Call 443-459-1950 and ask a question or share what the good dirt means to you!
Original music by John Kingsley. Editing and podcast production by Fast Forward Production.